Year Of Projects: week 30

Apart from discovering that I cannot count (the last two YoP posts should have been weeks 28 and 29, not 26 and 27 as I had incorrectly written – now fixed), this week has been an exercise in will power in getting the sleeves on my Second Squall done, but alas I am not there yet, though I am determined to post the finished sweater next week. I am inching my way to the armhole shaping, and it should be all downhill to the finishing line from there.

Sleeve island progress…

The problem is that my mind wanders continuously to weaving – I spent quite a bit of time drafting a sample where flat areas alternate with double layered ones, with the idea of stuffing the woven layers. I will have to see what comes out in the sample, but if it works, it could make for baby mats for toddlers to play on, or seat cushions, we’ll have to see.

To create the two layers, you have to decouple some of the threads – this make it possible to play around with colours, and I am playing around with two ideas. One is to show the pattern clearly: so the warp (i.e. vertical) threads are arranged so that the double layered area pulls up the threads of one colour, which should come up 3D because of the stuffing, as in this picture:

The second idea instead is to pull up a smaller scale version of the same pattern – this should be more of a trick to the eye, though not quite an optical illusion: but while on the flat part the pattern repeat will be larger (4 vertical and 4 horizontal threads), the stuffed part will be pulling up smaller pattern repeats (2 vertical and 2 horizontal threads). So the draft below is entirely identical to the previous one, apart from changing the yarn colours.

I am curious to see what comes out from this experiment! And I don’t have pink in my cotton stash, so it will have to be in different colour combinations, I am looking at some strong contrast involving purples and oranges…

Finally I thought I’d mention a really interesting free series of (short) videos on Kimonos by the Victoria and Albert Museum. So I learned that the seven pieces of fabric needed for each kimono were first cut and assembled and then decorated (through paint and embroidery). Additional pictures can be seen here, and there is a ticketed full day online event on Friday 12th February.

Wishing everyone a very crafty week ahead!

This is a year of projects (YOP) update. YOP is a Ravelry Group, and an idea – make a plan for the year ahead for all your fibre activities, then update your blog every week if you manage. The objective is to keep track of progress on any fiber crafts with maximum flexibility: post, don’t post, follow your list, change it – so really it is just an opportunity to get to know of more blogs and activities of those who share a passion for anything fibre crafts.

%d bloggers like this: